CEREC® is a cutting-edge technology utilizing digital 3D imaging and a state-of-the-art milling machine to create custom porcelain crowns, inlays and onlays, and bridges for reconstructive and cosmetic dentistry procedures.
Instead of waiting for up to two weeks for your restoration to be produced, our dentists can place your custom porcelain restoration in just one-visit.
CEREC® stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics and the first CEREC® patients received service in 1985. CEREC® is a brand name owned by Sirona, a new company that formed after Siemens sold its dental division.
Aside from saving time for the patient and dentist, the digital impressions created by CEREC® are generally regarded as more comfortable for patients than traditional impressions. According to a study by G. V. Arnetzl, G. Arnetzl in 2006, the ten-year success rate of CEREC® inlays was significantly longer than traditional gold and ceramic inlays. The nine-year success rate of CEREC® restorations is 95.5% and 84% after 18 years.
Steps in the CEREC® Process
- The dentist will use a 3D intraoral camera to take photos of your mouth.
- The CEREC® software will produce a virtual 3D model of your mouth based on the pictures.
- The dentist will then use the 3D model in a special dental CAD program to construct the bridge, crown, inlay or onlay restoration.
- The restoration is then sent to a milling machine where the restoration is milled on a colour-matched ceramic block.
- Finally, the dentist will paint, polish, or glaze the restoration before it is integrated into your mouth.
For more information on CEREC®, visit the official website at: https://www.cereconline.com/